Monday, February 15, 2010

Day +320: Quite a Journey!

It's day +320 for Maxer (day +1 in the hospital for Matt :) ) and I thought I'd just give everybody a quick update. As Sarah reported for you all yesterday, we've had quite a journey the last few days! I'm exhausted so, I'll be brief and add more details in later.

The great news is that Max is home and doing well. We were discharged from Children's on Sunday afternoon and he is continuing to show improvement. He seems to be beating the RSV now, thanks to the help the doctors gave him down there. They loaded him up with more antibodies through an extra dose of IVIG Saturday night and into the wee hours of Sunday morning and three rounds of IV antibiotics. He did have some bronchitis developing so, they wanted to knock that out to prevent any pneumonia. Their intervention seems to have worked and it was definitely necessary that he stay down there Saturday night to be monitored, etc. The four hours in the ER and every 15 minute interruptions throughout the night were worth it!

Unfortunately, Matt remains in the hospital tonight and will likely be there for some time yet. He is at Anderson Mercy (thank God), which is only about 5 minutes away so, I was able to get up there twice today to spend some time with him and talk with his doctor and nurses (we have had about 10 inches of snow in Cincinnati today, just to add to the fun around here). He is now under the care of the GI group at Mercy and saw Dr. Ionna today. I was there when he came in to check Matt out and chat with him. At this point, he is strongly suspecting that a gallstone has become lodged in a precarious place where it is causing the ducts that lead to the gallbladder/liver and the pancreas to back up, thus causing inflammation of the liver and the pancreas. Matt's liver and pancreas blood levels are through the roof so, they are trying to determine what is causing this inflammation and stop it. However, they can't do a whole lot until things calm down a bit in his gut. So, at this point, they are keeping him on IV fluids and pain meds, along with some antibiotics and buying some time so that his gut can cool off some. They are planning to do a scope down his throat tomorrow to look for the source of the problem (possibly a stone) and did a CT today as well, looking for the culprit. We are hoping they will have more answers tomorrow and that a bit more of a plan will be developed from there. Matt is more comfortable tonight than he was last night by far. He remains lethargic and a bit disoriented/spacy from the pain meds but, even that is improved from last night in the ER.

I have been here the last two nights with the kids and able to spend some good quality time with them. They are concerned about their daddy but, they understand why he is in the hospital and don't seem scared. My parents have been a HUGE help with them throughout the past few days, as usual. Don't know what I would have ever done this past year without them! Thanks, Mama and Papi - you're the best!

My only complaint is that I am SICK of hospitals!! I would have never imagined that I would know them so well!!! UGH!!! They are no fun, no fun at all! But, this past few days has absolutely reminded me again how precious each day is and how much we need to appreciate each one. Never, ever take your health and happiness for granted. Count your blessings. Celebrate the good stuff. Live in the moment.

More soon...

Peace and love,
Kristi (and Matt, Max, Alex, Ellee and Spud)


  1. Hi Kristi,
    I am so glad to hear Max is on the mend...and poor Matt! I can imagine you are both frustrated with not knowing what is going on and being in the hospital. Glad they are taking care of him and hopefully all is figured out soon. Take care - Amanda

  2. Kristi, I am so sorry for your latest BIG BUMP! Happy to hear that Max is feeling better! I hate to say I know how you feel as Matt is "putting off" getting his gullbladder out! It has been giving him issues too, but not quite as bad as your Matts. I hope you all get some answers soon!Keep me updated, praying for you all! Love and Prayers, Jasey

  3. Speedy recovery Matt!!! We need a strong breeze over at your house to get rid of the little brown cloud. I'm sure it will be here very soon. Thinking of you, Karen Mayrhofer

  4. Carolyn Ottaviani CarmodyFebruary 16, 2010 at 10:02 AM

    Hey Kristi and crew...thinking of you all and sending strength, love, and prayers your way!!!!

    Carolyn O.

  5. Hi Kristi,
    We are thinking about you all! I'm so sorry to hear that Matt is in the hospital! We're saying some extra prayers for you. I hope you can get away for the hospitals soon (and get away from the snow)!! I hear you have been getting a lot in Cincy as well.
    Take care, Jenny P.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.